Our Mission & Vision
The mission of the Church of the Open Bible is to love God, to love others, and to magnify the name of Jesus Christ. The vision of our church is to glorify our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, to make true disciples throughout all the nations by means of missionary activity and support, to minister the ordinances, to edify believers, and to do all that is sovereignly possible and biblically permissible to magnify the name of Jesus.
The initial organizational meeting took place in the home of Ernie McLaren in February of 1947. Those six families called their first pastor by July of that same year, and the Church of the Open Bible was born. The worship services were first held in Reid’s Hall over the Co-op Store before moving to Bowker’s Funeral Home. In 1952, the first church building was begun. It was completed in 1955 and served as the facility for the church until 1982. That building was sold and the former “Circle T” building was purchased, 2 kilometers south of town. That facility served our needs until 1988, when it was decided to sell again and relocate to the residential area on the south-east side of Ponoka, where it stands today. From it’s very beginnings the church was a member of the Associated Gospel Churches of Canada, an association of autonomous churches across Canada.